Thursday, May 18, 2017

When Thank You Isn't Enough




There have been instances in my life.... usually in the winter... where I have been driving down the road toward my destination in my car. Everything is smooth... everything is fine. But.... up ahead, I can see a huge black cloud. I'm driving straight toward a huge storm. In my heart.... I hope that I miss the bulk of the storm. Sometimes I do... Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the storm is short... Sometimes it is long.

I find myself driving into the storm and I think to myself, "This is going to be scary..... This is going to be dangerous....... I wish I didn't have to keep going, but I have to."

I drive into the storm... white knuckles clutching the steering wheel... hoping it won't last long. Driving forward and hoping that at any minute the storm will lessen and the weather will become less scary. The drive will be less treacherous.

Wishing there was somebody that could do it for me. But I know there isn't anyone that can. It's a road I have to take.



That's what this journey has felt a like. When Dalley was born, I could see the storm up ahead. I dreaded it. I wanted to turn around. I wanted somebody to drive for me. I wanted the storm to be easy... But it hasn't been.

But I haven't been alone.

Today I sat in the waiting room for Primary Children's operating room. Dalley had surgery to insert a feeding tube into her abdomen... a G-tube.



We decided it was the right direction to go for her feedings. Dalley is getting strong and she hates things taped to her face. This has resulted in her ripping the feeding tube out of her nose... or partially out of her nose several times a day. Because she is on continuous feeds at night for 12 hours, we run the risk of her pulling out her tube while we are sleeping. The risk of aspirating is high. For our sanity... and hers.... a G-tube was inserted.

Getting the G-tube will get us home safer. We are now looking at leaving closer to Memorial Day weekend so she can recover.

This will mean our time in the University of Utah NICU has been 5 months.

The U of U NICU. It is a place that finally brings meaning to the phrase, "being in two places at once."

It feels like Hell. But it has the miracles of Heaven.
I hate it. But I love it.
I wish we never had to be here. I wouldn't choose another team of individuals to care for my baby.
I have laughed to the point of tears. I have cried from sorrow so much I ran out of tears.

I hate this place. I hate that I had to meet the people here. But I love them. We owe them our hearts. They have saved our baby.

I wish I could name them all. I wish I could go back and get a picture of every single one of them. Tell the world how amazing they are.

Their jobs are not easy. I have seen them save several babies lives... Dalley included. I have seen them fight like hell to save a baby... only to let death take the lead. They cry with the parents over joyous moments. They cry with families during devastating moments. They can hopelessly watch a baby pass away, yet still find the ability to come to work the next day and meet a new and worried family.. look them in the eye and say, "we are going to do everything in our power to help your baby." They console. They give hope... but not falsely. They work long shifts. They fight for your child.

They are the doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, aids, social workers, pharmacists, lab technicians, housekeeping staff, occupational therapists, parent to parent support group....

They are not perfect. They make mistakes. But the credit is theirs. I love them... and I thank them.

Thank you will never be enough.

These are some of them. These are our primary nurses. 



Lisa

Jeanette

Jane

Amy


Amy
These women are fearless. They have caught life-threatening infections before it was too late. Gone to bat for us. Cried for us. Spent their own money on things to make her more comfortable. Loved her. Loved our family.

This NICU is full of AMAZING health care staff. The level of care here is uncomparable. ....And these ladies are our "heavy hitters."

I often wonder why things work out the way they do. I don't know if things in life are controlled... or if it's all by chance.

What I do know... is that despite all of life's challenges... we are lucky. We have the best family and friends. Our corner of the world is incredible. This has been absolutely insane, but we thank you for weathering the storm with us.... Even though it's not over..... thank you for sticking by us.

I say it again.....Thank you will never be enough.

Mothers day came and went. I cannot say goodnight without publicly thanking the incredible woman that raised me. I am lucky enough to have a mother whose absence is one of the single greatest voids in my world. She loved unconditionally and selflessly.


I spent mothers day weekend visiting her... and the three little angels who made me a mother a year ago. Three beautiful little girls who are being cared for by the woman and man that raised me.




And then I came and spent mothers day with this little girl.. Our rainbow baby who has undoubtedly been in their company throughout her very short yet difficult and trial laced life.



Thank you again for helping us through this and loving us. We are so close to home. The storm is lessening.

Life is hard. It is unfair. It is made more bearable when those around us travel through the storms with us. When tragedy befalls somebody... and you wonder what you should do..... what you should say... Please do not let the fear of "saying the wrong thing" stop you from reaching out. Make the call. Send a text. Show up. Give a hug. Make a donation. Say a prayer.

Saying nothing.... or doing nothing..... in my opinion is worse than saying or doing the wrong thing.

Two young children in my community (ages 8 and 14) lost both their dad and their mom this week. I can't even image what they are going through.

Another family in my community lost their father at far to young as well.

Right now, these families need us to travel the storm with them.

I hope they feel flooded with so much love... that someday... they will look back and say as my family does now, "Thank you for weathering the storm with us. Thank you just isn't enough."


https://www.gofundme.com/peck-family-heartbreaking-tragedy

https://www.gofundme.com/chris-may-family

7 comments:

  1. So grateful you have been surrounded by the right people! There is no price for that! Hope she recovers from her surgery quickly so you can get her home! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have had many to fight the storm with you, now the thing to remember is your never alone and always have them/us!!! Reach out call the doctor day or night with questions they understand trust me I've been that mom even with a full term baby! We love seeing Dalley make such huge steps and can't wait to see her home where she belongs. Definitely a rough week for our valley I also pray for those poor kids, may they never feel alone and always know they are loved at this time and forever. Hugs to you and your sweet family and also to those beautiful kids missing there parents tonight. Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. As most of your posts make me cry, this one especially did! Your family is constantly and consistently in my prayers. The three weeks we spent in the NICU were nothing compared to what you have had to endure. I know of only a small, minute portion of what you and your sweet family have had to go through. But in the midst of your trial, I can only say thank you for remembering our family during this trying time, and putting it into such perspective! ������

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing! And you are too kind to give us a shout out (: I love you and your family and your writings and perspective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary's friend Abbey again! If you have any gtube questions let me know! Our girl had one for 2 years. If you have trouble finding gtube accessible jammies I'd be happy to ship you ours. They are just going to be going to DI soon anyway. So seriously let me know, that was one of the hardest parts. Snaps were ok to find in small sizes but only zippers are available as they get bigger and I ended up putting button holes in ours to make them work. Let me or Mary know if you want them! Good job momma and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know me. But I've been following your story. I grew up across the street from Dana Rice.

    I have been wanting to leave you a message since the beginning. There are a lot of reasons why I haven't. Mostly because I know when we were in the NICU I couldn't process one more thing. I didn't want to add to your burden and having to put some of my feelings to word is overwhelming . But today I can. You are close to going home.

    Thank you for writing your thoughts about your journey. They were so often the same thoughts and feelings I had when our baby was there. Emery, our baby, was born at 28 weeks. She was 2 lbs 2 oz. Our ride through NICU wasn't as crazy as yours, but still challenging. Emery was at the U of U NICU for 13 weeks. She came home with a feeding tube.

    Just know that I have prayed for you. I know for me there was great strength in that people were praying for me and our baby. We left the NICU the end of September, our baby will be 1 the end of June. Emery has an eye appointment on Tuesday. I know things will be fine, but the anxiety of driving to the hospital, parking, and walking into the hospital is real. The love hate relationship with the hospital and staff is real. We couldn't of done it without them, we love them, but if I never have to go back I will be so grateful.

    Good luck to your sweet family. Love that baby and your husband. Thanks again for sharing your journey.

    Tori Truman McKee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy late Mothers Day darlin! I'm grateful you got to go spend time honoring your amazing Mom and 3 little girls . Dalley is so very lucky to have you as her Mommy. What a blessing Dalley's example of strength and courage to fight for life each day has been for so many of us bystanders. It's an honor to be included in your journey. It's also been a blessing to include my faith and prayers to the total sum of so many others in Dalley's behalf and for you and Adam as well. It was nice to read Adams post as well. Nice job Adam.My heart is flooded with gratitude each time I read an update or see new pictures. We can't thank you enough for taking time to share your heart, your family and your sweet darling baby with us all.
    Love you girly.
    ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete