Tuesday, February 21, 2017

3 LBS..... 2 Months.....1 More Infection?


Who now weighs 3 pounds?! 

"I do!!!


"This is how I feel about turning 3 pounds! 'V' is for Victory!" -Dalley
Who turned 2 months old?!

"Me!"



".....and this is how I feel about my 2 month birthday!.... and Dad, did I mention I would like a pony?!" -Dalley


Who may have another infection......?!

"This girl!" 

"And this is how I feel about having another infection. Crap." -Dalley

We MAY have another infection on our hands.... maybe. 

Dalley has a very compromised immune system. Being a micro-preemie will do that to you. But she's also awesome in the fact that she has some very obvious signs when she doesn't feel well.

Her first 3 signs are needing increased support on her ventilator, elevated heart rate, and a high 'hero' score. A hero score is a number that a computer calculates on the hour that is supposed to be a good predictor for a baby's overall health. The scores range from 0 to 7. 0 would be awesome. 7 is the worst. There is a board that shows all of the hero scores in the room. USUALLY we are the highest one. Dalley has a best friend, Meela (perhaps a forced friendship by their mothers at this point). Dalley and Meela like to compete with the highest hero score for 1st place.... (AKA...worst place). Dalley usually wins because she's sick A LOT! 

Two days ago her hero score started to rise. It was in the mid 5's. Her heart rate was also starting to rise. And her respiratory needs  increased. The all-telling trifecta. The perfect storm. 

Yesterday they checked her blood and.... once again, the marker for inflammation was elevated. Not as elevated as it was for her previous infection, but still elevated enough to cause a concern. Once again, Dalley was started on an IV of antibiotics. Once agin, a septic work-up was sent to the lab. 

Our nurses completing what feels like our 112,987.99th septic work-up. 


This infection could really be one of three things. 1 - A completely new infection. 2 - The same infection from last time that didn't fully go away and is starting to brew again. 3 - A inflammatory reaction to the immunizations she was just given on Saturday. 

The plan of attack at this point, is to wait for the 48 cultures to grow. If nothing grows at the end of the 48 hours (which is tomorrow morning), then her antibiotics will be discontinued and they will watch her VERY closely for her obvious signs. They will also run another lab a few days after to check for the inflammation marker. If she doesn't show anymore signs of being sick then they will know it was just the immunizations. If she still shows signs of being sick, then they will have to figure out other ways to figure out what is always making this poor girl sick. 

I got to the hospital yesterday and was informed of this 'potential' new infection. I was so mad and so frustrated. I cried tears of frustration and I cried tears of agony for my poor baby. I was throwing a pretty impressive 'pity-party' for myself. 

And then I got on the internet. I saw of a tragedy that struck a small town in Idaho that will result in a mother having to bury 3 of her children at the same time. I saw a story of a 14 year old girl in Logan, Utah that was shot and left to die, and is now fighting for her life. 

Those mothers were having a much worse day than I was. My heart aches for them. And my perspective changed for my little girl. I became so grateful for the fighting chance that Dalley still has. Not everyone has that chance to fight for life...  Right now we do. We can fight another infection. 

I remember the day when I was released from the hospital over a year ago. I had gone into the hospital pregnant with three perfect little girls. I came out of the hospital without them. We drove home and passed by the funeral home that held their tiny and perfect little bodies. I would have given anything for those three little girls to have a fighting chance. Dalley now has a fighting chance. As frustrating as 'the fight' might seem at times, I am so grateful for the chance to see her fight. I am sad to say it took these tragedies to remind me of that.... and to change my perspective.

Perspective is an interesting thing.

If you are still praying and meditating on our behalf... I thank you. ....And I don't think Dalley would mind sharing in your prayers and thoughts were you to include these families in them.

"Love will always win...... and I love you all." -Dalley



4 comments:

  1. Man, Lacey, your perspective never ceases to bring light into my day. So humbling. I will keep up my prayers for Dalley. Working on her octopus now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's okay to have our own pity parties I think as long as we there is also something to bring us back and remind us to be thankful for our chance. I only say this because given my current health situation I also do they same but then I will see something or hear someone's story and find myself thinking wow I at least still have a fighting chance. I pray for your sweet family more often than you know but I will most definitely include these other families in hopes they get some peace in this tough time. I am so greatful that Dalley gets the chance to fight thanks to her amazing big sisters for helping with that fight! As much as I hope it's her last infection, I know no matter what she will fight with a huge group of people in her corner! Hugs and much love to your amazing family!!!! Praying it gets easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that perspective. Thanks for sharing. It makes us all a little stronger. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable pictures ! Keep them coming !
    FEEL THE LOVE. ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete