Friday, January 6, 2017

The Truth



The truth. That's what I started this blog for. I promised myself I wouldn't sugar coat anything. I was never going to pretend to be stronger than I am. I was never going to lie to myself or anyone else about how "strong" or "put together" or "resilient" we are, or to tell everyone that "everything is fine", when in reality it's not. I think that does more damage than good. The truth is, I think we're all entitled to a break down at some point. We're all entitled to a bad day. We're all allowed to feel despair. I think the challenge is to not let those emotions take command of our plane. The crushing moment happens..... we feel pain.... we feel sad.....we feel angry, but in due time, we let ourselves rise above and allow the hope to creep back in.

It has not been a week full of "hope creeping back in" days.

The days have been full of so much "bad news", "set backs" and "what-ifs", that at one point I found myself sobbing in a bathroom so uncontrollably that I felt my knees buckle beneath me. The only thing to keep me standing upright was my sister-in-law Lisa, wrapping her arms around me and holding me up.

The infection has been a lot harder to kill than we thought and it has caused a lot more problems than I ever thought possible.

All day Wednesday Dalley was having a hard time keeping her oxygen saturations up. Whenever her oxygen levels drop below 85% saturation, an alarm starts going off on her machine. When this happens, the nurse just increases the amount on the ventilator. However... this didn't happen on Wednesday night. I was sitting by her bed and kept watching her oxygen saturation fall. The nurse would get up and increase the settings on the machine. But with every change in the machine, her oxygen still kept falling. Finally the machine was up to 100% and her oxygen was still dropping. Past 70... past 60... past 50.....  past 40. WHAT WAS HAPPENING!?!?



I stared at the monitor and then back at the panicked nurse. I could not just watch this happen. I stood up and paced the room as additional nurses, Neonatal Nurse Practitioners, respiratory therapists, Neonatologist, Fellow's all came rushing to her bed. She started to turn color from a nice healthy pink, to a pale white... almost blue.

I walked into the hall and called Adam. I just cried. He knew immediately that something was wrong and it instantly sparked an emotional response from him as well.

"Is she okay? Is everything okay? Lacey.... is she okay?"

"I don't know. I'm scared. You need to come be with us."

He immediately got in the car and started driving while I just leaned against the wall and slithered to the floor. It felt like I was there forever. I didn't have the courage to go be with her. I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to see what was happening. I was frozen with terror.

It felt like an hour, but in reality it was probably a few minutes before the Neonatologist, Dr Yost came and sat by me on the floor. I asked him if it was bad. He shook his head and said no. I asked him if Adam needed to come to be with us. He said, "we're not there yet."

YET!!!??????  I still felt pending doom. A nurse took me into the consultation room where I waited for news while Adam drove. It wasn't long before a Neonatologist fellow came in the room to tell me that she was stable again.

They had completed an x-ray really quickly and saw that her lungs were almost completely collapsed. The infection had caused an inflammatory response in her and all of the fluid and white blood cells had settled in her lungs. There was hardly any gas exchange going on.

They quickly increased the settings on the ventilator and expanded her lungs again and started her on nitric oxide. It worked. Her numbers became stable again and she started to turn a nice healthy pink. I called Adam and told him the crisis was over. He turned back around and we just cried on the phone the rest of his drive back.

That was Wednesday night and the past two days have been damage control. ......For both Dalley and myself. She is still requiring a lot more from the ventilator and I am realizing that this might be bigger than me right now. I realize that we might need a lot more help to get through this than we thought.

Today has been a better day. I've had some really amazing people stay by my side the past few days to make sure that I would be okay until Adam got here. I asked my sister to take a week off work to be with me next week. She agreed without question. Adam's classmates have been so supportive and kind. They started a meal calendar for people to bring him meals to make sure that he is eating.. even though he initially denied the service. Thank you.

The truth is.... we all need a little extra help every once in a while. Dalley is needing extra help from the ventilators while she kicks this infection. Adam and I may need a little extra help to get through these humps as well. ... and I think that's okay.
"I WILL CONQUER!" - Dalley Raye Garfield

I took this picture of Dalley today. It perfectly sums up our week. We came out victorious..... but not without our battle wounds.

10 comments:

  1. She's such a fighter 💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me, but I've been faithfully following your story. Praying, praying, praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine the constant stress. You have an army of people behind you, cheering you on from near to far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you each day. I known it's so hard to have bad days/weeks but just remember it is okay to ask for extra help! Sometimes we all need extra help to get us through things beyond our control. Dalley can't control this darn infection but with the help of you,Adam, those amazing nurses and doctors she has the ability to fight! She is very strong just like you Lacey! It's okay to ask for help from anyone family, your blog readers, anyone at this point! We are all here for you praying, wanting and wishing we could help more than we are don't be afraid to call on us to help! Your little family is loved by more than you know at this point! People loving and praying for you all! Dalley is strong she is a fighter, she has proven that for sure! I am here day or night please don't hesitate to message me! If you'd like my number I'd give you that also! Praying sending hugs and all the strong positive vibes I can to you and your sweet family! Remember you are loved!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lacy I'm friends with a few of your friends. I stumbled on your blog. My Sienna was born at just under 23 weeks weighed 340 grams. She will be 8 on the 21st of January, she spent almost 6 months in nbicu at the U of U. I want you to know despite all the ups and downs, infections, setbacks, and so on that she's amazing. Keep the hope, the micropremie is a rare breed and they know. It was so easy to become discouraged back then I remembered wanting to hear just one story about a baby as small as mine, as young, who had a good outcome, so I wanted to share a story of hope with you my daughter's outcome... it's not just good it's glorious! Lots of love to you momma. Love, from strangers and prayers being sent to you both! Holly Owens and my miracle fighter Sienna Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for you Lacey. But the tears were streaming down my face as I read about Adam's experience. How excruciating it must be for him to not be with you and his daughter. How difficult it must be to focus on school when all he wants to think about is you and Dalley. These men have to have their own strength and then find more to carry over to help their wives and families. What a blessing to have such a relatiinship and husband. I pray that the Lord will bless you both and your beautiful girl. And I pray that all of us around you will know how to be his hands to give you strength, comfort, Abe support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you so much and are praying like crazy for you and Dalley and Adam! She is such a strong fighter! It's amazing how much you we can feel her spirit just looking at her pictures! Thank you for your honest words! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in our prayers every day! Thank you for keeping us all updated on your blog. Thank you for inspiring me and reminding me how important it is to be 'real' about things and allow ourselves to 'feel' those emotions that overcome us. We love you! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The truth is all three of you are completely amazing!! I have so much admiration for you! Dally is a fighter! I'm so glad Lisa could be there! She thinks the world of you guys!! Keep taking those tiny steps forward everyday, one day they will be big. Praying for ya!! Janel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your Honesty!!!
    I know we do not know each other, yet (I hope to meet all 3 of you one day). I am Matthew and Adrie Thomson's cousin. I first heard your story from them. We have a very different story but I have sat countless days next to my children in the NICU and NeuroScience Trauma Unit, so if you every need someone to come and be with you, please don't hesitate to ask 435-757-6089. You all are in our prayers! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete